Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Pre-Experience Thoughts

Before I begin my journey to my service learning site, Lydia Home, I must first reflect and answer a few questions. First of all being what my hopes are for this project. My hopes from this is to enjoy my time spent with the children, because I've taught in the past and it's something I really enjoyed. Also though I hope to be able to help them and be someone they can look up to, and to feel like they know I am there for them. Secondly what are my assumptions about the site/location of Lydia home. It is close by and in easy walking distance so I assume it is in a safe neighborhood. I also assume it will be a decent sized facility. Third is my assumptions about the work done at Lydia Home. I assume there are a decent amount of workers because surely there are a good amount of children. I also know that they provide help with homework and do other activities to keep the children there involved. Fourth is the things that I assume about the population Lydia Home serves. The population at Lydia Home is mostly African American children, which to me does not matter, they are there for a reason and the color of their skin isn't what put them there. Lastly what connections/interests/passions do I have for this site/population. As mentioned earlier I have taught before, kindergarten my senior year of high school, and I just love the kids. Helping them to learn and seeing the little light bulb go off when you can help them understand just touches my heart deep down. Had I not already become semi set with a major here I probably would have leaned towards elementary teaching. Maybe after this experience it will still be in my cards. Here I go (:

No comments:

Post a Comment