My second week at Lydia Home was another Tuesday & Thursday session. It was much like the first with a few minor exceptions. Here's how it went!
On Tuesday I arrived yet again just after the kids were finishing with their snack time & moving into homework time. I jumped from child to child trying to help them with what I could. Today was a big english day-many of them had reading comprehension & also spelling like last week. Clare & I helped one of the kids turn singular words into plural works for example. Overall homework ended successfully & it was time for the kids to go play.
WE GOT TO GO OUTSIDE!
The kids are always thrilled when we can go outside & today was one of those days. From swinging to football, we did it all. I think the volunteers were more tired than the kids by the end of this day. Once again time zoomed by, so we said goodbye to the kids & headed home for the night.
Thursday was very similar to Tuesday & yes, we got to go outside again! Homework went smoothly-well as smoothly as possible & then we all had another outdoor adventure. Overall this was a great volunteer week!
One of the huge concepts I experienced this week was reflected appraisal & just how necessary it can be with children. When working with kids it is so easy for them to get distracted or simply lose interest & want to quit. And kids from a place like Lydia Home value that reflected appraisal.
When they do good & you tell them they've done so you can just see their little faces light up & their attention return.
This week was also a very nonverbal week. During homework is the most popular time for this-this usually occurs right before the shut down when they get tired of homework. Kids get bored like mentioned above, & more often then not this is where the phrase "use your words" comes into play. They begin making faces or just pointing instead of actually saying what it is they are pointing too.
This week taught me that in the future if I want someone to accomplish something that a little reflected appraisal can go a long way. Also that even though there are times when words aren't necessary there are some situations where just pointing isn't the right response. Another week down at Lydia Home. See you next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment